Sunday, November 7, 2021

new game!

things have been kinda slow on the dungeon crawl classics front and broken worlds front here lately. we maybe binged a few too many dcc modules, and for broken worlds we just can't figure out who should do the gamemastering next.

kind of a stuck-in-a-rut sort of feeling overall, i guess.

but msg just came across this game called mothership on some rpg pdf website and bought it for $7 (which sounds suspiciously cheap to me) and is excited about playing it and more importantly, excited about game-mastering it.

path of least resistance time, people!

so here's how things went when we rolled up characters.

(whoops! first i have to warn longtime readers that you're going to see a new name at the table because we met this super-cool japanese girl online. that's going great and i should probably blog about it, but later.)

(as usual, typing thanks to msg for the session notes. thanks for taking shift-key duty, babe!)

Sasha: Yes! Gaming! I've been wondering when we'd get back to it!
Ariel: Me too!
Elle: So what's the game and who's the gamemaster?
Akane: Also what's a gamemaster? Like a dungeon master?
MSG: The game's a new one, and it's a new kind of rpg for us because it's science fiction. And yes, a gamemaster is like a dungeon master, but in this game they call that person the Warden.
Akane: Warden! Sounds prisony! Is this a game of space jail?
Ariel: I don't know if I want to go to space jail ...
MSG: It's not about space jail. But just as fair warning, it is supposed to be kind of scary. It's called "Mothership," and it's a science fiction horror game.
Elle: I get the seat next to Ariel so I can squeeze her when she jumps or gets too nervous.
Ariel: Hey! How do we know you're not the one who's going to get scared?
Claire: I'm sure Elle was just kidding you, Aers. But you know ... you are kind of more sensitive than some of us ...
Ariel: I think that's a good thing!
Elle: Mmm, I do too.
Hettie: Dare I hope that the rules are on the simpler side for this game? I only just reached a point with dungeon crawl classics where I felt confident in my grasp of the details ... and I gather Akane is less than a journeyman roleplayer.
Akane: Does "less than a journeyman" mean naive to this activity? Yes? It's a truthful impression, then. I only played a little Dungeons and Dragons with a very dodgy dungeon master.
MSG: Well, not to worry, either of you. The rules are pretty darn simple in this game.
Ariel: Nice! That sounds like a lot less work. (Don't say it, Sasha!)
Sasha:  }: P
Elle: Can we get on to learning the rules, then?
MSG: Sure. I think it's probably easiest to do it as we're rolling up characters. Who wants to go first?
Hettie: I see Sasha with her arm up, but since Akane's new, maybe we should offer the chance to her? Only if you want to, Akane.
Akane: First! If I say yes, do I trample Sasha's emotions? But if I say no, does everyone think, "This Akane ... so timid ...?" No, don't tell me! Akane will be bold! Yes, I choose first!
MSG: Great. Here's a character sheet. Your character's name goes at the top, but you can make that up when you know more about the character.
Akane: Um ... why is "Stress" right at the top of this sheet? I don't even know a rule yet, and already there is stress? I'm nervous.
MSG: Stress is pretty important in this game. The more bad things happen, the more your stress goes up. When it gets too bad, you have to make a roll or you'll panic and do crazy things.
Akane: I see. It says starts at 2, so I just write a 2 there?
MSG: Yes.
Akane: Now I must turn the sheet sideways to read this thing ... "Roll 6DIO for each of your stats." What's DIO? Where do I get 6?
MSG: That's 6 d10. This is a ten-sided die, and here are five more.
Akane: I remember these from D&D with dodgy ex-boyfriend. But not so many of them! Well, here's roll number one ... 7, 3, 4, 4, 2, 3 ... my strength is 734,423? So much higher than it was in D&D!
MSG: You add them together, so that's 23.
Akane: Ah ... 23 is still better than in D&D. It's a good start, right?
MSG: Actually a little below average, but that's okay.
Akane: Yes, now I see they're all below 5 except the 7. Rolls of weakness! Now my character is poorly physiqued. It's okay, next roll ... 8, 8, 2, 5, 5, 4, better! Speed is 32!
MSG: Strength was pretty obvious. Speed covers running and reacting, gaining initiative, that sort of thing.
Akane: I'm calculating. I remember from D&D now, average roll is lowest number on die plus highest number on die divided by 2 equals 5.5 for d10 equals 33 when you roll 6 at once ... Game Akane is sub-par in speed too! Next roll, Intellect! Game Akane will be smart, watch! 1, 9, 6, 6, 7, 5 ... 34. Sigh. Last is Combat. 10! Oh, but also a 1. Then 2, 5, 5, 6. My Combat is ... 29. So Game Akane is pretty average in everything except musculature. I guess it's better than all 23's!
Hettie: I like your positivity.
Akane: Thank you! What's next?
MSG: You need to pick a class. Are you a Teamster, which is basically just a starship crew member, or an Android, or a Scientist, or a Marine?
Akane: I'm looking to that section ... what are Saves? Why are the first two Sanity and Fear? My stress ... increasing! Do I add to the Stress number now?
MSG: No, that's your character's Stress, not yours. The saves show how well you resist things that might drive you crazy or terrify you. The next two after that, Body and Armor, are how well you resist physical afflictions and damage. But the most important thing is to pick a character type that you'd like to play.
Akane: It's already decided, when I said Game Akane will be smart. I see Scientist is very good at Sanity Saves and has +10 to Intellect. Now I'm at 44.
MSG: Pretty good.
Akane: Eh ... maximum roll of 60 + 10 would be 70! But 44, it's liveable.
Sasha: Maybe! It's a horror game, so maybe not!
Akane: Could be for the best though, right? If Game Akane is so average, it's no big loss if she dies, I think.
Claire: I'd call that a sensible attitude.
Akane: Real Akane has Sensible stat of 7, 7, 8, 6, 10 ... 38! Too bad there's no Sensible stat for Game Akane. What's next? The sheet has gear packages and says roll for trinket and patch?
MSG: The gear is what you start with, and the trinket and patch are just to give some hints of what kind of person your character is, maybe.
Akane: Scientist Akane needs ... Excavation gear? No. Exploration gear? Maybe? Extermination gear, definitely not. Aha, Examination gear! It's a match!
MSG: Good. Next roll percentile dice. That's 2 d10, and use one with two digits on it so you get a tens digit and a ones digit.
Akane: Clever! Um ... another 29, like my Combat.
MSG: Bag of assorted teeth.
Akane: WHAT? It's so creepy! Why do I have teeth?
Ariel: Maybe you're a tooth scientist?
Akane: Wait, right. It's appropriate for a scientist to have some teeth, obviously.
MSG: Percentile dice again for your patch. 
Akane: 84.
MSG: Hm. It's a patch that says, "GOOD BOY!"
Akane: ??? What's it supposed to mean? Is Game Akane a boy?
Hettie: I think the point is for you to think of something it means, to help define your interests or personality.
Akane: Oh. "GOOD BOY!" ... I think it's for saying to a dog. Can my patch have a dog? Happy, with its tongue hanging out?
MSG: Absolutely. Does this stuff give you enough ideas to name your character yet?
Akane: Nnn ... teeth ... dog ... maybe she is a dog dentist? Doctor Yamaguchi ... Daika, dog dentist! But she became too sad with dog cavities, so moved to other sciencing.
Elle: I like it.
MSG: Okay then. All that's left is to pick your skills. Pick two of these for being a Scientist, then you have 3 more points to spend.
Akane: That's not so many skills, I think.
MSG: It'll work out.
Akane: There must be Biology for a dog dentist. Hmm. These others ... I think I only like "Computers." Now 3 more points?
MSG: Yes, and those ones in the second column take 2 points each.
Akane: Even fewer skills that way!
MSG: True, but look at some of those second-column skills. A lot of them are pretty useful.
Akane: Okay, 1 point in First Aid. It's closest to dentistry, right? Left are 2 points. How about "Psychology"? With all the Fear and Sanity and Stress, I think it's a game in need of therapy!
Sasha: Are you being silly, or is that actually a good idea?
Akane: Hmm. Does one exclude either?
Sasha: I guess not! Okay, my turn!
Akane: Here are dice.
Sasha: Thank you. Pow! 54 Strength! Pow! 32 Speed! Pow! 31 Intellect! Ka-BOOM! 39 Combat!
Akane: These rolls! You are --
Sasha: Marine!
Akane: --much better --
Sasha: Plus 5 on Combat is 44! 49 if another marine is near!
Akane: -- than Akane --
Sasha: "Extermination" package!
Akane: -- with dice ...
Sasha: Trinket -- spiked bracelet! Patch -- "Fix Me First" ... uh, what's this word in the parentheses?
Hettie: Ah. "Caduceus." It's that medical symbol with the snakes that twine around a staff.
Sasha: Perfect! That's what better happen if I get hurt, then. Skills! Let's see ... I get Military Training right off the bat, and then I'm gonna pick ... Firearms! Only one point left, let's say Athletics, and ... done!
Akane: Your character seems much superior to mine.
Sasha: That's okay, because I'll be your best bud since you've got the First Aid chops.
Akane: Okay!
Claire: Does your character have a name?
Sasha: Umm ... Nancy ... Danger. Because Danger is my middle name.
Ariel: But you didn't write a last name.
Sasha: It's classified. I have to kill you if you find out.
Ariel: Also, it looks like you wrote "Narcy" instead of "Nancy."
Sasha: That's even better! Sounds more science-fictiony. Here, you go next.
Ariel: I guess, okay ... Strength, here goes ... 31. Speed ... 36. Intellect ... 23! Oh no, I'm so dumb!
Elle: Maybe you're not dumb, sweetie, you just don't always think things through.
Ariel: I don't know. Can I be a Scientist too and then I'll at least be average smart?
MSG: Well, there are 6 players and only 4 classes, so there will have to be more than one of something.
Sasha: Or you can be a marine like me and we'll both get that extra +5 on Combat when we're together.
Ariel: Ooh, good! And since I'm dumb I'll just let you make all the decisions so I don't have to think about it.
Sasha: Better roll your patch first. Maybe it'll say "Independent Thinker" and then you'll have to come up with your own ideas.
Ariel: Okay. Well, I'm taking this "Exploration" package instead of Extermination so we don't have the exact same stuff. Plus, this one has food!
MSG: Percentile dice.
Ariel: 26. "Vantablack marble"? What even is that?
Hettie: Google says Vantablack is a brand name for a kind of superblack coating that reflects virtually all light.
Ariel: So it's just a really black marble? Okay ... well, thanks, Hettie. I don't feel as much like a 23 Intellect if even you had to look it up.
Hettie: No problem.
Ariel: My patch roll is ... 79. The table says ... "For Science!" Oh no, I knew I should have been a Scientist. Why does a Marine have a patch about "For Science!"
Elle: Maybe you just borrowed someone's jacket and never gave it back.
Ariel: That makes sense. With a 23 Intellect, I probably forgot.
Sasha: Or they died.
Ariel: Brr! Don't say that kind of thing!
Sasha: I think in this game maybe you're just going to have to deal with it, Aers. What skills are you going to pick?
Ariel: Hmm. No choice about Military Training. If my character was smart, she'd figure out the best set of these fighting kinds of skills. But she's not, so I'm going to say she has ... Driving ... and Scavenging ... and ... Archaeology! That's how she got the marble -- she took an archaeology class and scavenged it from someplace the class went digging.
Akane: I like this! You're so creative!
Ariel: Thank you!
Elle: Name time, babe.
Ariel: Oh no. This is the hardest part. I borrowed the jacket, so the patch isn't a clue, and I scavenged the marble, so that's not a clue ... but I can drive and I like archaeology so ... "Stickshift ... McDiggitt." How's that?
Elle: I'm in awe.
Ariel: Are you being sarcastic?
Elle: Absolutely not.
Ariel: Okay! Here, then, you can have the dice.
Elle: Let's see if I can go even faster than Sash. Stats: 29, 41, 38, 32. I like that Androids get a high Fear save and a plus to Speed and Intellect, so I end up with 29, 46, 43, 32. Don't know why, but I'm picking the "Excavation" package ... patch number 1! "Security Guard Patch." Okay, trinket is 78, Hooded Parka, Fleece Lined. Skills, I automatically get Linguistics, Computers, and Mathematics, then 2 points that I'll put in Hacking. Name ... Pol d'Eurothein.
Hettie: Classic.
Elle: You want the dice next?
Hettie: I'll defer to Claire.
Claire: Thanks, Het! I'm thinking we probably need a Teamster so at least one of us knows about spaceships. Ouch, 20 for my Strength!
Akane: Even weaker than my dog dentist! So sad, poor Claire ... we share a misery.
Claire: Well, I don't want to seem like I'm trying to out-do you, but Teamsters get +5 to Strength, so ...
Akane: I'm weaklingest again? *sigh*
Claire: Speed 33 plus 5 for a total of 38 ... Intellect 33, and Combat 28. "Excavation" kit for me too ... My trinket is a DNR beacon necklace, so I guess I'm not sticking too close to Akane ...
Akane: What's DNR? I don't understand the stand-offishness.
Elle: "Do Not Resuscitate."
Akane: Really? So lackadaisical!
Claire: Aha, my patch backs it up: "Work Hard/Party Harder." I think my name will be "Party Patty." No, "Party Paula." No, Elle's already "Pol," that'll sound confusing. What's a good "P" name?
Hettie: Pandora.
Claire: I like it! "Party Pandora" ... maybe "Pandy" for short. "Party Pandy ... Fatale." Okay, skills. Zero-G and Mechanical Repair are automatic ... I'd rather take Piloting than Heavy Machinery, I think ... and then 4 points.
Akane: So many points of skill for Teamsters!
Claire: Yeah, it's pretty cool. I'm picking Engineering and Astrogation. Party Pandy's like a one-woman spaceship crew. Harriet, you're up. Here are the dice.
Hettie: I implore the whims of fate to guide these rolls. Strength: 28; Speed: 36; Intellect: 23; Combat: 38. We're mental peers, it seems, Ariel.
Ariel: Oh, good! I'm not the dumbest?
Sasha: You will be if she's an Android or Scientist.
Ariel: Please don't pick those, Hettie!
Hettie: I was actually liking that bonanza of skill points Claire got. I think I'll go with Teamster as well. My trinket is a Spanner and my patch is "#1 Worker." I'll have to decide if that was awarded with irony or out of praise. Hmm. I'll ponder it. On to skills ... I suppose I'll pick Heavy Machinery since Claire skipped that one. Then Rimwise, Firearms, and Athletics.
Sasha: What the heck is "Rimwise"?
Hettie: Honestly? I don't care. But it's on the path to Firearms, so I'll live with it even if it's useless.
Ariel: ("That's what she said...")
MSG: It's actually a skill with a lot of potential. It covers everything to do with outer rim colonies and the seedy parts of the galaxy.
Hettie: Nice. If I'm into seediness, I'll take the equipment package with all the drugs: Examination. Now I just need a name. I think I'll be a guy ... "Spanky Spannerman." The patch is unironic.
MSG: There we go, then. We have our party. Ready to play?
Sasha: You bet!
Ariel: I hope so ...
Elle: Strike while the iron is hot so these characters won't just sit and gather dust like our Broken Worlds ones have been doing.
Claire: I'm in.
Hettie: So say we all.

okay, this post is long enough! game writeup next time! (update ... it's here!)

No comments: