Friday, November 24, 2023

secret of the dragon emperor ... part 14!

so folks, there are 11 adventures in this dragonbane campaign book we're working from, and so far our intrepid band of heroes have gotten through ... 1. by my math, that means it could take us over 140 of these blog entries to finish the whole thing. yikes! (not that we have a fantastic track record of finishing campaigns or anything.)

with that in mind, here we go on the next one!

GM Elle: All right ... after marking experience last time, did anybody manage to get a skill up to 18 and score a new Heroic Ability?
Sasha: Yes! My Riding hit 18, and as soon as I read "Dragonslayer," I knew that was the one for me. If I use it against a monster, I get an extra d8 damage.
Ariel: Ooh! Nice! Only ... how did you get better at Riding? You haven't ridden anything this whole game.
Sasha: The rules don't say you can only put a mark in skills you use for the session. I figure Quackers has just been thinking a lot about how riding somewhere would get him to the monsters quicker. Soon as I get up to 60 gold, I'm all over a riding horse.
Harriet: In other words, several dozen sessions from now.
MSG: I feel like I have to point out that in order to get to the monsters any faster, you'll either need to leave the rest of us behind or get all of us horses too.
Sasha: That's on you guys.
GM Elle: Any other new Heroic Abilities?
Claire: My highest score is still only 16.
Akane: Zedeja, the same.
Harriet: Dilfriida got her Knives score up to 18, and I was vacillating wildly between Assassin, Dual Wield, and Fast Footwork until I realized I only had enough WP for 3 Heroic Ability uses before I'm out. So I took Focused instead. It felt rather underwhelming, but I can at least Backstab 4 rounds in a row now, if I have to.
Sasha: Borrring. You should have put one of your decent scores in Willpower like I did.
Harriet: Ahem. I've peeked at your sheet, Sasha. You have 5 scores at 14 or better. I have 2. 
Ariel: Hey, why did you suddenly hide your sheet like that, MSG?
MSG: No reason.
Harriet: Good grief. Don't tell me all of your ability scores are 14 or above.
MSG: Okay, I won't tell you that.
Sasha: Anyway, what's the deal with peeking at my sheet, Het?
Harriet: For one thing, should any of us be having secrets from one another in this household? For another, I've actually never seen you spend a single Willpower Point, so I wanted to check whether your Heroic Abilities were simply all terrible. Which, to my surprise, they were not.
Sasha: I mean, when your regular attacking and defending numbers are as good as mine, do you really need to pay attention to what your Heroic-Schmoic Abilities are?
Harriet: Certainly not. I mean, not unless you value opportunities to save your fellow characters from mortal harm or something of that sort. But ... honestly, I do apologize for looking. I should have asked and not just presumed upon our familiarity. In my defense, Ariel was looking too.
Ariel: Hey! Sash, I swear, it was basically an accident. You were away from the table and I said something like, "I bet Sash's character is as awesome as she is," and somebody rolled their eyes at me I think, so I looked in order to prove it.
Sasha: Haha, I was basically joking-mad about Het's sneaky peeking, but that's hilarious, so I'm glad I pretended.
Akane: Still, it is role-playing protocol not to sheet-peek, yes?
Harriet: Absolutely. As it also is to tell someone else how to run their character, such as by implying that they should use their Heroic Ability to defend others at least occasionally. In real life, I'm highly ethical, but I'm afraid at the gaming table I'm as much a scoundrel as Dilfriida.
Claire: Meanwhile, high atop a central hill of the town of Outskirt, where dwells a mysterious hermit full of enticing knowledge ...
GM Elle: Right. Let's get straight to that. Do you head straight to the old man's hut, Claire?
Claire: You bet. Filvius is hot on the trail of some paid-for knowledge, no detours to be tolerated. I march straight up the hill and pound on his door.
GM Elle: It turns out you don't need to do that, because you find him out in his garden tending vegetables.
Claire: Super. I holler at him and wave as I'm walking up, then.
GM Elle: He looks up from his work. His wrinkled features clench up for a second, then he gets to his feet and dusts off his knees and says, "Don't come closer just yet. Your friend smelled intolerably when she was last here -- you haven't come in a similar condition, have you?"
Claire: I say, "Do I look like I'm covered in troll yack?"
GM Elle: He squints and says no, but his eyes aren't what they used to be. He walks closer, asking if you've decided what questions to ask him.
Claire: Sure. First one is, "I hear you're a mage. How do I cast the most powerful spell that you know?"
GM Elle: He says, "By paying me three gold pieces to tutor you for a shift, then practicing until you've mastered what I teach you."
Claire: I really meant he should tell me the exact process, so I tell him that.
GM Elle: He says that the most powerful spell he knows is complex enough that you will have to ask him numerous questions to learn it, and that's more than you have purchased with the treats you brought him. So you'll have to be satisfied with the answer he's given.
Claire: Okay, well, no, I don't have to be satisfied with it. But I guess I have to accept it. My next question then is what the secret knowledge is that's hidden in that image on the ruined ceiling temple.
GM Elle: He says, "There's not really much hidden there. It just shows the crown of Eledain, the Dragon Emperor. You've probably seen it on all the milestones along the roads here in the Misty Vale, if you've been traveling here much."
Claire: Damn it. Okay, then I take off my backpack and get out the map and the two statue pieces, and I say, "So what's the deal with this stuff, then?"
GM Elle: He spends a considerable period of time just blinking and looking from you to the things you've shown him and back again. Then his eyes widen and he tells you to put it all back away again.
Claire: I'll do that, but I probably can't help rubbing my hands together eagerly before I do. I say, "Sounds like we're talking now."
GM Elle: He tells you the same basic story that Annabelle told Sir Quackenscrump when you first got into town. But he adds some information you haven't heard as much about. He tells you that the pieces of the statue are currently being sought for by the Cult of Sathmog and the Keepers of the Immaculate Flame -- a fanatical group of knights and monks who worship Eledain and want to use the sword to usher in a new age of rule by Dragons. He tells you that if either of these groups finds you have the map or the statue pieces, they'll use any means at their disposal to acquire them. If they have money enough to buy them, they'll try that. If not, they'll use force to take them, without hesitation. He also tells you that the Cult of Sathmog want the sword to bring back their master's high priest, Azrahel Koth, who is entombed on the Misty Isle in the north of the Vale. The sword can free or kill him, and is the only way to get through the deadly mists that surround the isle.
Claire: Strike one and two on my first questions, but big-time score on question number three! I wish Dolora had told us all about that Truth Society Annabelle claimed to be in so I could ask him about that.
MSG: Sorry, I was a lot more interested in getting us to the Temple of the Purple Flame than going over all the nitty gritty.
Claire: I guess it doesn't matter anyway, since I'm all out of questions now.
GM Elle: The old man cautions you to be very careful who you reveal all of this to. But if you decide to turn it over to anyone because it's too much for you to deal with --
Claire: Filvius says he has complete confidence that we can handle it.
GM Elle: He says, "Yes, yes. But if you decide otherwise, the Keepers of the Immaculate Flame would be a much better choice to go with than the Cult of Sathmog, who could plunge the entire world into darkness if they have their way.
Claire: Okay, then, high stakes. I guess I'll tell him I have plenty of gold to spare if he could spend a shift teaching me a new spell right now.
GM Elle: He says considering the burden your group is bearing, he can certainly make time. He tells you his most powerful spells are Heal Wound, Lightning Bolt, and Purge, but that you'd have to know Treat Wound, Lightning Flash, or Banish to learn one of those.
Claire: Sweet, I have all three of those prerequisites. Kind of like the idea of boosting my lightning damage or damage to undead ... but realistically, we probably need me to beef up the healing. Oh, and it looks like Heal Wound is a prerequisite for Resurrection, so I guess that seals the deal.
GM Elle: The lesson is involved and takes a lot of focus. It turns out he's right that you do ask a lot of questions.
Claire: I was probably going to do that regardless.
GM Elle: True. So mark off the 3 gold and at the end of the session, you can roll to learn the spell in place of rolling to increase your magic school skill.
Claire: I guess that represents the practicing he was talking about.
GM Elle: Right. 
Claire: Okay, guess I'll head back to the Three Stags then. What's everybody else been up to?
Ariel: If you were gone a whole shift, probably Fidu took a nap.
Sasha: Sir Q is hanging out drinking mead, but after a while he starts to wonder if Filvius snuck off to kill more monsters without him and he wonders if he ought to go check on the elf.
GM Elle: Are you saying he actually does go check?
Sasha: No, just that he wonders if he should. Then he probably has another mead and stops worrying about it.
Akane: Zedeja awaits the return of our diseased mage.
Harriet: Dilfriida is sitting around in her towel waiting for her laundry to dry.
MSG: I'm waiting to see if Glinssa shows back up. Or if Annabelle shows back up to give me more of her Truth Society scoop.
GM Elle: For the time being, there's no sign of Glinssa. But Annabelle shows up for her shift a little after noon.
MSG: Great. When it looks like she has a free moment, I'll ask her if she wants to tell me a little more about the Truth Society.
GM Elle: She's cleaning up a table during a lull between busy times when you ask, and she looks a little surprised, then says, "Well, I don't know if there's all that much more to tell," and keeps working. "We're just a society that loves truth and knowledge, and it will obviously be bad for that if those terrible Eledain worshipping knights get the sword and take everything over."
MSG: I'll ask her what particular areas of knowledge are her favorites.
GM Elle: You notice her kind of scowl at that. She finishes stacking mugs and dishes on her tray and wipes down the table with a cloth. "Lots of different things," is what she says in answer to your question. "Right now though, I'm mostly focused on learning as much as I can about the dragon knights and how to stop them."
MSG: Uh-huh. That seem kind of suspicious to anyone? She's head-over-heels about knowledge, and the knights are terrible because they're a threat to that ... but the main knowledge she's interested in is the knights?
Ariel: It doesn't seem suspicious to me, but that's because I'm napping.
Sasha: Right when we could use your Insight ability to see if someone's lying.
MSG: I'm going to say, "Well, I don't know too much about the dragon knights, but at least they're against that Sathmog cult, right? Sathmog is the worst."
GM Elle: Annabelle says, "Maybe I'm not the best person to ask, because the dragon knights killed my whole family." She seems visibly upset when she says it.
MSG: Great, now I feel bad. I apologize and say I didn't realize the situation was so personal for her. Then I'll add that my friends and I are like she is -- very interested in knowledge but also eager to make sure no other people's families get killed by fanatics out to enslave and rule the world.
GM Elle: She just says, "Excuse me," and takes her cleanup tray in the direction of the kitchen.
MSG: I guess I'll go back to the table with the rest of the group, then, looking more dour than usual.
Akane: Zedeja suggests it's faulty to accost diligent workers in their duties. Now service to our table may have reduced efficiency. "This should be remedied with a large tip. Be sure to leave one at the end of dining or drinking."
MSG: Dolora grumbles that she'll think about it.
GM Elle: So toward dinnertime, Filvius returns from training.
Claire: I'll fill everybody in on where I've been and what I've found out. I'm not going to play up the fact that I basically wasted my first question ... instead I'll say the old dude told me all the different spells he knows that he could teach us. When I get to the part about the statue pieces and map, I'll be a little careful about how I talk about us having them. "I showed him some of that stuff we found, and he opened up like a book. Sounds like we've got to watch out for fanatical knights on top of cultists."
Ariel: (That's what she said.)
Sasha: Haha, that one was actually pretty good.
Akane: Zedeja immediately examines the room for apparent knights. Do I discern any?
GM Elle: At some point in the afternoon, that dark-haired woman in plate armor came back into the common room and sat at a corner table by herself.
MSG: Any sign of dragon emblems or symbols on her? I roll a 2 on a Spot Hidden check if I need one.
GM Elle: You can't see any such signs. But you do notice that when Annabelle goes to take her order, the serving maid seems to be forcing a bright attitude toward her.
Ariel: I bet she's a dragon knight and Annabelle is plotting to kill her for revenge.
Sasha: Are you actually back downstairs now? And did Dolora share that info about Annabelle's family with us? And are you actually betting? Because Quackers thinks that's an okay bet to take, considering Dolora obviously stepped in it with the maid and got her in a bad mood.
MSG: I probably would have chimed in about Annabelle's family being killed by dragon fanatics when Filvius brought it up. But I don't think I ever got around to telling the group about the Truth Society or how Annabelle said they'd give us 50 gold pieces for each piece of the statue. So if that's part of what's making you suspicious of her ...
Ariel: No, I'd actually forgotten all about that.
Sasha: Sure would be good information for the rest of us to know, though. Hint, hint. Anyway, how much are we betting?
Ariel: I dunno ... a gold piece?
Sasha: You're on.
MSG: Most likely when Filvius talks about the two groups being after the statue pieces, Dolora would bring up the fact that there may be a third group, because Annabelle told me this Truth Society would give us 50 gold for each piece of the statue if we found any.
Ariel: Fidu is kind of annoyed that you hid that money-making opportunity from us.
MSG: I was more concerned about the knowledge than the money. Anyway, now you know.
Claire: Well, I don't like the idea that there's a third group and the prune-faced hermit didn't know about them. After all the work that I went through to get that knowledge, I want it to be as close to the whole story as possible. So I'm going to say the Truth Society's probably a scam, and Annabelle's working for one of the other two groups.
Ariel: It's the cultists. Or maybe not, because she does seem awfully nice.
Akane: Hmm. The arm-wrestling opponents had cult tattoos, yes? And we did see this suspicious serving girl talking to the leading mallard of them.
Harriet: When he came in and sat down, I'll point out. It was rather her job to talk to him in that situation.
MSG: Whether she's a cultist or just angry at the dragon knights, though, it seems like we have confirmation from the hermit that both of these groups are bad news in one way or another, which sounds to me like all the more reason for us to keep the statue pieces, find the other two, and then get into the tomb under the temple and take whatever treasure's there for ourselves.
Claire: And whatever knowledge is there.
MSG: Is there a difference?
Claire: Just sayin'.
Harriet: Dilfriida points out that if we're stealthy enough about it, we could always sell the statue pieces to Annabelle after we've used them and gotten away with all the treasure.
MSG: Mmm ... seems a little dishonest to me.
Ariel: Fidu says it seems like just good business to him. She didn't say the fee for the statue pieces was only good if the loot was still in the tomb, did she?
Akane: Again, the wiseness of our hound. Zedeja agrees that this is the best plan. Thank you for coming up with it, Fidu.
Harriet: Dilfriida indignantly points out that it was her plan.
Akane: A statement of greed only, not a plan. It took an older and furrier mind to refine it.
Harriet: I'm going to go check if my things are dry yet.
Akane: As soon as the thiefly halfling departs, Zedeja asks the elf how he feels. "Any throbbing in your troll scratches? Feverishness?"
Claire: I don't know, am I feeling bad, Elle?
GM Elle: As I said, the day's lessons took a lot out of you. You can make a Healing check to see if you think it's anything more than that.
Claire: 12 is a success.
GM Elle: Now that Zedeja has mentioned it, you do feel a little less rejuvenated by your dinner than you'd expect. Your ears may have a bit of ringing in them too.
Claire: Great.
Akane: Bedtime for this elf! He must be tended! Where do we buy an herbal concoction?
GM Elle: Master Ulvar's store seems the likeliest place.
Ariel: I'll go over and haggle for some.
GM Elle: The store is closed when you get there. But you know Ulvar and his son use the back half of the building as their home, and he'll answer if you knock.
Ariel: I do. I'll say I'm sorry to disturb him, but we have some sick friends and we need herbal concoctions. I'll try to get his town spirit going and tell him they got sick because of fighting off the troll that was endangering everyone down on South Street, and I know good townpeople like himself would probably want to do their best to help the town's defenders out.
GM Elle: You can roll Bartering, but with a Bane because you interrupted his dinner and because he knows people in need of medicine aren't in the best bargaining position.
Ariel: I roll a 12 and a 13, which are both easy for my Bartering of 18.
GM Elle: You manage to touch a little of his community spirit, then, and he lets you have the concoction for 8 silver instead of 1 gold.
Ariel: So that's 16 silver for two?
GM Elle: He agrees to that, although he mutters something about how maybe you should have taken up a collection around town beforehand instead of putting the whole burden of Outskirt's gratitude on him.
Ariel: I tell him thank you and I go back to the inn.
Akane: Zedeja begins treatment immediately in one of our rooms.
GM Elle: You do need to pay for the rooms for the night, though -- and Vagnhild tells you that since Alfilia is back in town, there's another customer bidding against you for the second private room. So you'll get a Bane on this roll too.
Sasha: This town is turning into a bunch of skinflints.
Ariel: I ask who this Alfilia is.
GM Elle: Vagnhild nods in the direction of the woman in plate armor. "She's been in and out of town the last few weeks. Not too talkative about her business, but she has good coins to pay with."
Ariel: I'll try the same idea I did with Master Ulvar, that we need the room for our sick friends who got a disease helping the town out.
Akane: But only one sick friend. The other is acquainted, but unfriendly.
GM Elle: Sounds like you're making an argument against Fidu's angle with the innkeeper. I'll say the Bartering roll is now opposed by a Charisma check by Zedeja.
Ariel: Thanks heaps, Akane. I roll a 3 and a 4 though, so hopefully you have a tough time beating those.
Akane: 10 for Zedeja.
GM Elle: Sounds like the deal is good again, 17 silver and 6 copper.
Ariel: I'll pay it, but I'm going to ask Filvius and Dilfriida for a gold piece each to pay me back for the concoctions.
GM Elle: All right, then Akane can make a Healing check with a Boon opposed by the disease's virulence.
Akane: 8 and 15.
GM Elle: The disease rolls a 9. Zedeja will have to keep tending Filvius for a shift, but that and the night's rest should fix him up.
Akane: Zedeja will sleep in this room when the patient lowers in fever, then.
Ariel: I'm worn out with all this Bartering, so I'll go to sleep in the other room.
Sasha: Still drinking here.
GM Elle: As the evening wears on, then, you see Quasimund and his scum come back in.
MSG: I'm watching carefully to see how Annabelle interacts with them.
GM Elle: Make a Spot Hidden check, then. 
MSG: Yikes. Demon.
GM Elle: Not only do you not see anything, but the angry bald guy notices you and comes tromping over to your table. "What's with all the staring at us, dwarf?"
Harriet: Am I back with my things on yet?
GM Elle: Yes.
MSG: I'll try to bluff him by saying I was thinking about challenging him to an arm-wrestling rematch since he beat me so badly last night. I roll a 4, which is an easy success against my 14 in Bluffing.
GM Elle: He says he's not going to get tricked into another arm-wrestling con job after the halfling cheated last night. "So if you want some kinda rematch, let's take it outside." He makes his hands into a couple of big, meaty fists to make sure you know what he means. You see his companions back at the table take note.
MSG: I'll very calmly say --
Harriet: Dilfriida butts in before you can. "You want a fight? Great, let's make it a three on three. Losers pay the winners a gold piece each!"
GM Elle: Uh-oh. He gives a savage, gap-toothed grin and shouts back to his table, "Hear that, guys? We got a fight here!" Imvir stands up immediately. Glinssa seems to hesitate a second until Quasimund the mallard glares at her.
MSG: Awesome. Sash, Sir Quackenscrump isn't going along with this, is he?
Sasha: You bet he is!
GM Elle: Vagnhild pipes up that you're all paying customers and she doesn't want to see anyone get badly hurt, so she volunteers to mind everyone's weapons while you go out and take care of whatever you feel like you have to.
MSG: I'll put my weapons in Vagnhild's care, but I'll also try to Spot Hidden to see if any of our opponents are trying to sneak something along. Is that one roll, or one for each of them?
GM Elle: One each.
MSG: Vlort I roll an 18 for, Imvir a 3, and Glinssa a 6, so success on the last two.
Sasha: You bet I'm doing the same. Dragon on Vlort, 5 on Imvir, 7 on Glinssa, so that's success on the first two.
Harriet: Dilfriida also watches, but with a 19, an 18, and a Demon.
GM Elle: No one notices any funny business except for Dilfriida, who is positive that Glinssa's got something hidden in one boot.
Harriet: In that case, I'll try to use Sleight of Hand to hide one of my daggers. 5 is a success.
GM Elle: Vagnhild rolls a 4 and puts a hand to your shoulder before you step away. Rather than saying anything, she raises an eyebrow at you and flicks her gaze to the spot where you tried to hide your dagger.
Harriet: Blast it. Okay, I'll say, "Oh, wait, there's this one too," and hand over the dagger.
GM Elle: When you all get outside, Vlort says you've got to take off your armor. "Hardly a fair fight if we're busting our knuckles on your steel and landing useless blows on that leather."
MSG: Fine. I'll take off my leather and helm.
Sasha: It's a lot of work, but I guess I'll get out of my plate too.
Harriet: I sincerely doubt that Vlort is interested in the fight being fair, but I'll take my armor off too, I suppose.
GM Elle: You can all make an Awareness roll. Vlort is going to try to charge you while you're all occupied with your straps and catches.
MSG: Missed mine.
Sasha: Quackers makes it.
Harriet: I missed mine as well. I suppose I'll push it and get Angry, since Dilfriida is thin-skinned. Sadly, I miss the re-roll too.
GM Elle: Sash is the only one who gets to draw for initiative against Vlort, then. Here, I've mixed up the 1 and the 2.
Sasha: Great. All that and I still get the 2.
GM Elle: Everyone else can draw from the remaining cards.
MSG: 5.
Harriet: 10
GM Elle: Imvir and Glinssa on 7. Vlort heads straight for Dilfriida -- he's got a bone to pick with her for beating him at arm-wrestling last night. He gets a Boon on his roll for catching you with your armor half over your head. Do you want to dodge?
Harriet: Absolutely. I also spend 3 WP on my Hard to Catch ability to gain a Boon on the roll. 5 and 18, so I slip his grasp.
GM Elle: Sasha?
Sasha: Sir Q's ticked that Vlort pulled that one, so he's aiming to conk the guy good. 17, but I'll push and get Angry. Nope, that's a miss too, 11. We're stuck using Brawling, right?
GM Elle: Yes. MSG?
MSG: I'm going to sing a quick, stinging song about how cheaters never prosper, giving our enemies a Bane until my next round.
GM Elle: Their turn, then. Imvir goes for Sir Q and misses. Glinssa goes for Sir Q also and misses as well. New round.
MSG: I draw the 4.
Sasha: I get the 1!
Harriet: Dilfriida is on 8. Late in the round as usual.
GM Elle: You're in luck, though, because the bad guys have the 9.
Ariel: Holy moley, did our side just win by all drawing cards that beat the other team? That's never happened! Has it?
Sasha: Not that I recall. Since somebody told me I ought to use my special abilities more often, Quackers will use his Ill-Tempered ability to get a skill boon on Brawling. Whoo! Dragon and Demon. Definitely taking the Dragon there. I'm picking the extra damage die. Does he try to dodge?
GM Elle: Your Dragon means he'd need a Dragon to dodge, and he has a Bane from Dolora's song, so definitely not.
Sasha: 8 points of damage, then. MSG?
MSG: I'll keep up my singing.
Harriet: Dilfriida will try taking out Vlort. But I miss.
GM Elle: Vlort's getting angry at your singing. He's going for Dolora.
MSG: I didn't say I moved up before singing, so he'll have to break away from Sir Q and Dolora, right?
GM Elle: Yes. I didn't say he was the brightest. Sash and Hettie, you can both get free swipes at Vlort.
Sasha: I like how that Ill-Tempered thing worked, so I'm doing it again. Damn, 18 and 19.
Harriet: I get a 14.
GM Elle: Vlort's attack on Dolora includes a Demon. Oof. He slams his hand into something hard and hurts it. He'll get a Bane on his attacks for the rest of the combat.
MSG: Sounds good to me.
GM Elle: Imvir and Glinssa stay on Sir Q. Both miss again. New round.
MSG: 3. We're off to a good start.
Sasha: 2. Even better. Keep the countdown going, Hettie!
Harriet: Sorry, 6. Not right at the end this time, at least.
GM Elle: It doesn't matter, because they draw the 1.
MSG: Fine by me. That means they definitely still have the Bane from my singing.
GM Elle: Double bane for Vlort with his hurt hand. He definitely misses. The other two on Sir Q ... miss and ... Dragon, but also a miss, so Glinssa takes the worse die.
Sasha: Quackers tries his Ill Temper one more time. Nope, 12 and 9.
MSG: I'll leave off singing and take a crack at Vlort. 10 is a miss.
Harriet: Vlort moved away from me and the other two moved up on our knight ... am I free to go after Vlort without triggering a free strike?
GM Elle: On an odd roll, yes; on even, one person has you within reach. That's a 5, so go for it.
Harriet: 19.
GM Elle: New initiative.
MSG: I hope the townfolk aren't watching. It makes for a pretty sorry fight if no one has Brawling skill apparently. 5 for me.
Sasha: 7.
Harriet: Aha, 1!
GM Elle: Enemies on 2.
Harriet: Dragon, exceptional. I'll roll the extra damage die, for a total of 10 points.
GM Elle: Vlort is down for the count, then. Imvir and Glinssa try for the mallard again. 5 hits for Imvir. 9 misses for Glinssa. Do you dodge?
Sasha: I've got hit points out my feathered ass, so no.
GM Elle: 6 points, then.
Sasha: Ouch!
MSG: I'm taking a pop at Imvir. Miss.
Sasha: Me too. 7 is just what I need! 8 points.
GM Elle: New initiative.
MSG: 4.
Sasha: 8.
Harriet: 6.
GM Elle: 5.
MSG: Trying to take down Imvir ... nope.
GM Elle: 19 and 11 for Imvir and Glinssa.
Harriet: 16.
Sasha: Lucky 7 again! 10 points this time.
GM Elle: He drops like a sack of potatoes.
MSG: For my round I'll dust my hands off and ask Glinssa if she wants to discuss that job offer now.
GM Elle: She glances toward the window. Most of the patrons inside are looking out to see the fight, including Quasimund. Through clenched teeth, she says, "Boss is looking." Then, louder, she says obviously she can't beat all three of you, so it looks like you win. Before she heads inside, she says she doesn't have a gold piece for the wager, so you'll have to see if Vlort's got enough on him. 
MSG: Does he?
GM Elle: If you search him, you find 24 silver and 5 copper. You notice Vagnhild watching from the doorway with her arms folded.
MSG: I carefully count out 20 silver and put the rest back. 
Harriet: What's Imvir got?
GM Elle: 4 silver.
Harriet: That and Vlort's silver is pretty close to a gold piece. I'll take all but the 5 copper.
Sasha: You can have my share too. I was just in it for the action. Sir Q goes back to  his mug of mead.
Harriet: Dilfriida says, "Sweet," and follows him.
MSG: I'll head back inside too, then.
Claire: Nobody wants to put their armor back on?
Ariel: Or even pick it up?
Sasha: Dammit. Obviously I'm not leaving my plate armor out there. Thanks for ruining my cool exit, Claire.
MSG: Can we assume Dilfriida and I also got our armor back on?
GM Elle: Yes. Even if you'd really forgotten it, Vagnhild would have said something before you got inside.
MSG: I'm starting to take a shine to her. She runs a pretty good place.
Sasha: Just to head off any sarcasm, I'm 100% going to get my weapons back from her too.
Harriet: Likewise.
MSG: And after doing that, I'm going to look around and see if Glinssa's somewhere I can have a talk with her.
GM Elle: No, she's sitting with Quasimund, who seems to be quacking angrily at her.
MSG: Ah, well.
GM Elle: Everybody mark off you coppers for however many more mugs of mead you drink and we'll move on to the next morning, then.
MSG: I'll use my 10 silvers to buy a round of mead for the whole room, assuming there are 25 people or less there.
GM Elle: Everyone is very appreciative ... with the possible exception of Quasimund, who doesn't turn the free drink down, but doesn't take on any of the festive mood either.
MSG: No, once things quiet down, I'll retire to my spot in the dormitory upstairs.
GM Elle: Okay, on to the next dawn.

(actually, we broke for dinner at that point, and I think this is a good spot to break between posts!)

No comments: